We are looking back to a successful AUTOMATICA in May 2012 in Munich: 31,000 trade visitors from more than 100 countries. The AUTOMATICA was also very successful for the IFR. At our press conference, we could report on 2011 - the year of the 50th anniversary of the industrial robots and by far the most successful year of industrial robots. The forecast for 2012 and beyond are promising. The international press showed keen interest on the 3rd IFR CEO Round Table on the topic: "Breakthrough with Industrial Robots". The main results of the lively discussion were:
- The automotive industry will continue to be the innovator for new technology and the main driver of the growth of robot sales.
- There is still a huge potential for robot installations in China. Chinese customers are very challenging and reliable. There will be Chinese robot suppliers in the future. The robotics industry is looking forward to a challenging competition.
- Safety regulations still demand further improved solutions of the man-machine cooperation.
- The General Industry needs more specialized, more flexible and more easy-to-use robotics solutions. The number of customers is strongly increasing.
- New materials and improved technology reduce energy consumption of industrial robots.
I recommend to have a look at the films on the discussion and the main statements on our website www.ifr.org.
The IFR published the History of Industrial Robots, a brochure with the milestones of technology and commercialization. It is available as print and as download on our website. More details are provided on the website: http://www.ifr.org/history/. The print can be ordered from the IFR Secretariat.
A big surprise was the announcement of two winners of the IERA Award 2012 at the AUTOMATICA. The Awards Committee of IFR and IEEE honoured two outstanding projects of pioneering work in advanced robotics which have been successfully commercialized. Esben H. Østergaard, Universal Robot, and Gino De-Gol, Robocoaster, are the winners. More information on both projects is available on our website.
We are now looking forward to the 43rd International Symposium on Robotics, the ISR 2012 from 29 to 31 August 2012 in Taipei. Robot experts from all over the world will inform and discuss on: Intelligent Human-Robot Interaction. Keynote speeches of Toshio Fukuda, Nagoya University and Manfred Gundel, CEO of KUKA Roboter GmbH will be special highlights. (I also have a great opportunity to give a Keynote speech). Don?t miss to register on the website: www.isr2012.org.
On 30 August 2012, World Robotics 2012 will be published in Taipei.
I am looking forward to meeting you in Taipei!
Dr. Shinsuke Sakakibara