The International Federation of Robotics was established in 1987 in connection with the 17th International Symposium on Robotics ISR as a non-profit organisation by robotics organisations from over 15 countries. Since 1970, an International Symposium on Robotics has been organised every year in different continents, countries and cities. Each Symposium is organised in conjunction with an International Robot Exhibition.
The purpose of IFR shall be to promote and strengthen the robotics industry worldwide, to protect its business interests, to cause public awareness about robotics technologies and to deal with other matters of relevance to its members.
Research, development, use and international co-operation in the entire field of robotics, and to act as a focal point for organisations and governmental representatives in activities related to robotics.
IFR shall undertake especially the following activities:
- Help manufacturers and integrators of robotics to enter into new market and to gain information about the latest technological trends in the field of robotics.
- Collection and interpretation of market relevant data for world-wide surveys, studies, statistics and other data on the world-wide use of robotics.
- Establish links to and actively co-operate with other national and international organisations in the field of robotics.
- Manage the links between the robotics industry and research & development activities in new fields of emerging robots and related technologies.
- Sponsor the annual International Symposium on Robotics ISR.
- Participate in the establishment of international robot standards ISO.